Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Food Stamp Challenge!



Yep, I've applied for food stamps.  Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), for those who need to know.  Hate the idea.  Hate it.  I want to be the person feeding the hungry, not the hungry person.  But I've crossed to the other side out of necessity.  We pray that necessity doesn't last too long.

I am a single person, with no money in the bank, now receiving unemployment, with rent, utilities, and medical bills to pay.  In a couple weeks, if things don't look up, I will be applying for federal assistance to help pay the utilities. . . . .hate it!  So, given these circumstances, they did the math and I get to try and feed myself on $3.15/day provided by the state government.

I accept the challenge!

Now, admittedly we are not starting from scratch.  I do have some things in ye olde pantry including basic sundries like oil, flour, sugar, salt and spices.  Rice, beans and potatoes.  And a whole chicken, some sausage and garlic and onions.  So not starting from scratch.  I go on the assumption that people in a similar situation such as I are not starting with a totally empty cupboard.  But any future grocery shopping will be based on $3.15/day per person.  That would include my boyfriend who lives with me, so a total of $6.30/day.  That's $44.10/week.  Ouch.  That's just  a little more than half of what we usually spend, and that was also on the assumption that I got at least one free meal a day at work.  Perks of working in a restaurant.

Okay.  $44/week for two.  Can we live a cheap and relatively nutritious diet on that?  We're about to find out.

1 comment: