Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Dem bones, dem bones, dem . . . lamb bones

Fortune smiled upon me a few months ago.  There was this catered shindig at work and lamb loins were on the menu.  And for whatever reason the executive chef showed up with frenched racks of lamb.  He cut off the loins, used those for the menu and we were left with these.  Having nothing to do with this 'waste' there, I asked if I could take them home and then stuck them in the freezer until I could use them.  Two weeks ago, becoming suddenly unemployed and needing to try and ignore my depression by keeping myself busy, I found time to do what I wanted with them.


And what do you do with bones and meat scraps?  Why you roast them, of course.


And then after doing that you put it together with what you see here - onions, carrot, celery, herbs and tomato paste - and stick it all in a very big pot with alot of water.  Toss in several hours of time on the stove slowly simmering away and you end up with a very humid apartment and some delicious flavorful gelatinous stock.  Stock which helped make a delicious italian sausage soup, a fabulous risotto with mushrooms and spinach, and a nice portion to put back into the freezer for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment