Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Grocery Carts


You ever take the time when you're in line at the grocery store and look at what's in other people's carts?  I do.  All the time.  And then consider what it says about the people pushing those carts.  And start imagining what it says about them.  The contents can tell you if they're single or have a family.  If they're having a party that weekend, maybe.  If they think about nutrition, if they're a carnivore or a vegetarian.  If they have time in they're days or not.  If they like to cook, if they're a foodie.

One thing I've noticed in general.  People don't cook as much as they used to.  I suppose I don't need to look at carts to know that.  Eating out has increased over the decades.  I know so many people who admit they can't even cook ramen, heh.  But then you look at grocery carts and see lots of cans and bags and boxes and frozen items of pre-prepared ready in a few minute foods.  And not as much fresh meats, fruits and veggies.

I wonder what my cart tells people about me.

I know what this week's shopping haul says to me.  Sometime in the next week or so I plan on cooking the following - turkey noodle casserole (because I'm feeling retro 50's), pork chops stuffed with spinach and mushrooms, brown rice and black-eyed peas, enchilada pie with guacamole, yogurt chicken, pot roast with herb potatoes, ratatouille and . . . kare-kare.

1 comment: