Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chicken Thighs and Asparagus

Chicken thighs.  I have noticed over the past few years how chicken thighs have become more prolific in grocery stores. They're selling more consistantly in 'family packs' now, including boneless/skinless, and not just during the summer BBQ season.  I don't know about anyone else, but I love me a good chicken thigh.

Chicken breasts have their place.  They have 'less flavor' and so lend themselves more to a variety of cooking methods.  For example, they're far better in chicken salads then a thigh is.  And yes, technically, chicken breasts are less fatty and therefore 'healthier'.  But everything in moderation, as they say.  If you want a reduced fat chicken thigh, take off the skin and trim off the fat.  Voila.  Chicken thighs have a few advantages, in my opinion.  One, they're more flavorful.  Two, they don't dry out as easily.  Juicy chicken, yum.  Yes, partly due to the fat content.  And three, they're cheaper.

Asparagus.  Not cheap.  Cheaper when they're in season, of course.  That season might take place in Mexico in the middle of winter.  But hey, sometimes I really just need to forego my growing locavore principals and take advantage of a really good sale for something that adds healthy variety to my diet.  I am not a saint.

So what to do with a family pack of boneless/skinless chicken thighs and a bunch of asparagus?  First, you look in your fridge and see you have two slices of swiss cheese that need to be used.  So then you take those two pieces of swiss cheese, cut them in half then lay those with some cut asparagus spears in an open chicken thigh.  Wrap that thigh around the cheese and asparagus then tie with butcher's twine into a neat little bundle.  Brown them in a little oil in a saute pan then toss them in the oven at 375 for about 20-25 minutes. 
When finished roasting, serve with rice.  I eat pretty simple at home really.  At least, I think I do.  And most meals get served with steamed rice.  It's my Asian heritage.  Rice goes with anything.  Except maybe pizza.  And I suppose sandwiches.  This little bundle of joy could probably look better with a sauce.  That's my restaurant teaching kicking in.  Everything could always use a sauce to make it look better and be richer.  But for a simple meal at home the thigh is, as I said, a nice, juicy piece of meat and a sauce unnecessary.
What else can you do with chicken thighs and asparagus?  Adobo!  Well, at least with the chicken thighs.  The asparagus just makes a very nice veggie side to balance out the meal.

Adobo, in the Philippines, is basically any meat simmered in a vinegar based marinade.  You'll get arguments from various Filipinos what exactly goes in the marinade.  But that's no different really than asking people what they put in their BBQ sauce.  The primary flavoring ingredient is vinegar.  It provides sour and tart, something which is a key flavor in many Filipino dishes.  If it isn't vinegar that adds that flavor to a dish it may be citrus juice or tamarind or fermentation.

But as I said, vinegar is what makes a Filipino adobo a Filipino adobo.  The marinade for the adobo I grew up with is mostly vinegar with a bit of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar, bay leaf and peppercorn.  You can have the meat sit in the marinade overnight or a few hours.  Or you can cook it right away if your needing a last minute meal.  It's a really flexible dish.  And easy to cook.  Toss all your marinade and chicken in a stew pot and turn on some medium heat.  Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the marinade has reduced into a dark coating sauce.

I admit, I take a little bit of my training into concern when I cook this now.  I usually heat up the pot and then brown the marinaded chicken on both sides first, then pour the marinade over it to finish off stewing.  Adds a bit of a prettier color to the finished product.  If I do it with chicken that has it's skin on, I'll usually drain off the extra fat that renders off when browning before I add the marinade to the pot.  I've read where some will do the opposite.  Stew it in the marinade and then take the chicken pieces and brown them afterwards.

Whichever way, whether you just toss it all in the pot or take that extra step for a little extra color, what you end up with is what is considered by many the quintessential Filipino dish.  And a dish which plays on all the different flavors a tongue can experience, sour, salty, sweet, spicy and umami.  Oh yeah! Umami!

No comments:

Post a Comment