Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Backyard Garden!

Okay, so really it's not my backyard.  I live in a multi-unit apartment building with no yard.  And my bedroom and kitchen windows face the alley.  And because of the way the streets are situated around the area in which I live, there's this huge triangular vacant lot bordered by those alleys.


See, big plot of land.  Being in a quiet out of the way place surrounded by alleys behind a bunch of residences and businesses, it's pretty useless, right? WRONG!  For one thing, there's this mechanic shop across the way.  Every summer, they voluntarily keep it mowed find junk like old stumps to use as goal posts and play soccer for about half an hour or so every afternoon.  I've always thought it utterly delightful, giving the mechanics a little bit of a break and getting some fun and exercise.  But also ever since I moved from my old apartment down the hall to this one and had a full view of that vacant lot out my window the thought has also always crossed my mind, "That would be a great place for an urban garden."

I've played around in my head about how I could possibly find out to make such a thing happen.  But at the same time have also been hesitant to take a lead on something like that, because, first off, I'm a renter and who knows how long I'll actually stay in the area and secondly, the idea just seems like a huge prospect for one lone person with really no previous involvement with the community and really no huge large knowledge or experience with gardening to begin with.  I have had small gardens in the past and grown my own vegetables, but I wouldn't call myself an expert.  Dig in dirt, plant seeds and seedlings, watch them grow.  Pick and eat!  So a bit intimidating, to say the least.

About a week ago, I look out my window and see three people in casual business attire standing in the middle of the lot chatting, taking notes, making hand gestures referring to the area.  I couldn't hear a thing but it was obvious they were talking development of the lot.  I won't lie, seeing them brought out a bit of the protectiveness in me since the awesomeness of a community garden idea had fully implanted itself in my brain.  So I got suspicious and worried.

Worried for no reason!  Today, I found yellow flyers by the mailbox saying they were putting a community garden on the lot!  Meeting next week to discuss the plans and to sign up for plots!  Sending Dan to the meeting (because I have to work that night) to sign us up.  Counting my chickens before they hatch but. . . . GLEE!  I'm gonna have a garden!

2 comments:

  1. I always had a garden when my kids were growing up. Daniel was involved in turning the soil, planting, weeding and harvesting. We had a great compost heap Daniel would help his father turn. On a cold fall day just after we dumped some leaves into the compost I could see steam rising from the heap when looking out the kitchen window. Enjoy Del...there is nothing like having your own garden.

    ReplyDelete